Monday, September 22, 2008

On the savory side...

Lest anybody think we subsist solely on cookies, cakes, and breakfast treats, I'd better post a recipe for an actual meal. Now, I get a lot of enjoyment from baking, but I really couldn't give a hoot about cooking. The simpler (and quicker) the meal, the better. Especially with the evening time crunch. But it does make me happy to put a good meal on the table for AudioDad and Munch- and tonight's was a good one. I've been working my way through piles and piles of recipes clipped and collected over the years- and I've put a halt to the numerous food mags coming in until I can get a handle on the situation! When the late-summer heirloom tomatoes looked especially interesting at the market, I thought I'd give this recipe a try. It ended up like a soupy stew and was great with my favorite pugliese bread.

Tomato and White Bean Stew
2 1/2 lbs. ripe tomatoes
1/2 c. fresh basil, chopped
2 tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tsp. sea salt
pepper to taste
2 cans drained white beans (I used a can of garbanzos and a can of cannelini)
8 oz. fresh mozzarella, drained & cut into 1/2" cubes (not the grate-able kind)
1/2 c. grated parmesan
3 c. cooked brown rice

Core and dice/chop the tomatoes. Combine tomatoes with basil, olive oil, garlic, salt, and pepper in a saucepan. Add beans and stir over medium heat. Cook about 8 minutes, remove from heat, and add cubed mozzarella and parmesan. Stir until mozzarella starts to soften and melt into stringy lumps. Add additional salt if desired. Serve stew spooned over brown rice and sprinkle with additional parmesan cheese.
Looking forward to leftovers for tomorrow's lunch!

On another topic... we hit the pool again this past weekend. Munch worked on putting her face in the water as she glided from me to AudioDad and back. She is so confident in the water and doesn't quite get that she's not a swimmer... yet.


Using her noodle!

No comments: