Friday, October 3, 2008

It's Fall!

Around here, the first few days of Fall bring 80+ degree temperatures. We stick with our shorts, t-shirts, and sundresses. The air conditioner kicks in when it gets really toasty. So when the weather finally does cool down, it's a welcome change. Anticipating a drop in temperature, overcast skies, and the first showers to start tonight, I dragged out the slow-cooker and got a nice beef stew started. When Munch and I got home, we made a double batch of pumpkin biscuits to go with it- gotta have leftovers to freeze for breakfasts on the go! Now all I need are my flannels and TiVo and we're ready to hibernate! (actually my DVR is no longer TiVo, but my heart still skips a beat when I hear that "boop-boop")

Pumpkin Biscuits (From Cooking Light- my change was to add a little more sugar so they would be more like my favorite pumpkin scone from Starbucks, but not as sweet since we're skipping the glaze/icing. However, Munch & I do gobble them up warm with butter & a drizzle of honey!)

2 c. flour
4 tbs. sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
4 tbsp. cold butter, cut into small pieces
3/4 c. buttermilk, fat-free
1/2 c. canned pumpkin

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Combine dry ingredients in a bowl. Use a pastry blender to cut in the butter until the butter pieces are small and the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir the buttermilk and pumpkin together before adding to the flour mixture. Stir until just combined, then turn onto a floured board and knead 5-8 times (just barely not sticky). Pat out until the dough is about 1/2-inch thick. Use a small (about 2-3 inches) biscuit cutter to make about a dozen biscuits. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 11-15 minutes, until golden.

No comments: