Monday, January 26, 2009

Where Did My Baby Go?

Munch's turning 3 on Tuesday. I don't know how it happened.
On the one hand, 3 years doesn't sound like a whole lot- heck, AudioDad & I have been together for 18 years this coming spring. Munch's presence is a blip compared to that. But on the other hand, I can't remember a time without her. And it's hard to describe that feeling of recognition that swept over me when I first held her (and it's strange now to realize it was actually several hours before I did).


Munch was so tiny (hence the nickname, as well as Peanut) and I remember us just mentally preparing for all unknown consequences of her difficult delivery. I was expecting permanent, or at least long-lasting, damage to her shoulders/arms and lots of physical therapy after she got stuck during the delivery and they broke her collarbone trying to get her out. I remember how she wouldn't feed and I was a wreck every time the nurse visited the house to weigh her. I remember keeping close track of her milestones, wondering when and how we'd see any developmental delays.

One day old- those preemie diapers practically went all the way up her back!


Munch was always a really good baby. She was calm and happy. And during the months that I was home, I just kept telling myself not to worry- that she'd crawl, talk, and walk when she was ready. So, we just had fun- and the time flew.



At some point after the Munchkin's first birthday, I wasn't worried about her being a preemie anymore. Developmentally, she was hitting her milestones without an age adjustment. And like I said in the beginning, I'm not quite sure where my baby went. Because all too soon, she was a big girl.

I can't complain. She's my pal- she's well-behaved and loves to do what I do: shop, go to restaurants, bake, read, more baking, more shopping. And sometimes when it's quiet, she likes to snuggle with me under a big blanket and just be my baby again.

Happy birthday Munch!

2 comments:

Cheffie-Mom said...

Your daughter is BEAUTIFUL! Children are such a blessing! Happy Birthday to your daughter!

Terra said...

I know I'm slow catching up...but AWWWW you know how to capture the Mommy feeling that brings tears to my eyes. She is gorgeous and growing so fast!

There was an error in this gadget