Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Empanadas


I've been in organizing mode lately. It happens every summer, because that's when I finally have the time to go through all the closets and cupboards and clean out all the stuff- papers, clutter, old clothes. This week I came across a stack of recipes that I'd lost track of. I have recipe clippings all over the house. I finally got to a point where I had to cancel my food magazine subscriptions just so I could keep up with what was already in the house. I was so happy to come across my recipe for little meat pies. They're like empanadas or pasties. I usually make a chicken filling, but decided to try pork, which the family really enjoyed. This is the recipe I used- but I had a bit of leftover filling. I think I'll increase the quantity of pastry by a third or so next time so I can use all the filling up.

Hot water pastry
3/4 c. solid vegetable shortening (Crisco)
1/4 c. boiling water
1 tbsp. milk
1 tsp. salt
2 c. flour

Place shortening in a bowl and pour the boiling water over it. Stir until smooth, then add the milk. Add the flour and salt, and mix until the dough holds together. Add additional flour or drops of water if needed and finish kneading by hand to incorporate bits of flour. Form dough into a flattened ball and wrap in waxed paper or plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.

Pork filling
4 tbsp. olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
12 oz. pork loin, all fat removed, finely chopped
1 tbsp. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
2/3 c. finely chopped scallions (green onions)
1 c. chicken stock
2 med. red potatoes, finely diced

Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add the pork and cook until no pink remains, about 4 minutes. Add the salt, pepper, flour, and scallions and cook, about 2 minutes. Add the chicken stock and cook, stirring, until liquid is slightly thickened. Remove the pan from the heat and add the potatoes. Cool to room temperature.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment and set aside. Beat 1 egg and set aside to use as an egg wash. Divide chilled dough in half and roll out each half to about 1/8-inch thick on a lightly floured board. Cut dough into circles about 4 inches wide. Spoon about 3 tbsp. filling into the centers of half the dough circles, mounding it up. Brush the edges with egg wash. Top filling with a second dough circle (brush edges with egg wash), gently stretching it over the filling and pressing it onto the edges of the bottom pastry circle to seal.
Repeat with remaining filling and pastry. Don't worry about small tears int he dough- it will help vent the steam as it bakes. Any large gaps can be patched with dough trimmings. Crimp edges with a fork, brush tops of pastry with egg wash, and transfer carefully to the baking sheet.Bake approximately 35-40 minutes, until golden brown.

3 comments:

Cinder Rail'lee said...

THAT'S IT! I'm moving in! whats your address?! I have pillow in hand and my blankie!

Veronica Lee said...

This looks delish!! Thanks for sharing the recipe. Hubby and the boys would love them.

janice said...

Veronica- Wait till I try the asian-style beef filling!
Tami- You are just the sweetest! Come on down (or up- since I'm in northern CA!) you, me & Munch can have a sleepover!