Friday, August 29, 2008

Lovin' from our oven...

It was my dad's birthday last weekend (Happy birthday, Lolo!) so Munch & I got out the mixer to make him a special treat. I know he and AudioDad both like shortbread, so we made a nice, big batch:


We used a WHOLE box of butter- thank goodness for Costco!


A happy helper (probably from all the butter she sneaked...)


I just slice my shortbread into squares, but Munch wanted to get fancy-


Ready for the oven!

Here's the recipe (I doubled it):
2 sticks butter (unsalted is best), room temp.
2/3 c. powdered sugar
2 c. flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 c. sugar (for sprinkling over tops)

Beat the butter and sugar until creamy and well mixed. Combine the flour and salt and gradually mix into the butter/sugar mixture. Roll out the dough- I go about 3/8-inch thick because I prefer my shortbread to be more tender. Roll to 1/4-inch thick if you like it more crisp. Cut into desired shapes, place on baking sheet, and poke holes lightly into the surface with a table fork. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle each cookie with a pinch of sugar. Return to oven for an additional 5 to 8 minutes. Watch them closely towards the end of baking time-remove when they're just lightly golden around the edges, but tops are still pale.

No comments: