Monday, August 11, 2008

The quest for the ultimate peanut butter cookie



Who doesn't love a good cookie? They are my favorite treat- it's so easy and quick to bake up a batch and have a nice, warm cookie in minutes. I usually make chocolate chip- but I'm always on the look-out for something new. I recently was given a few peanut butter chocolate chip cookies from a Petaluma bakery. While I'm fairly neutral about peanut butter cookies- they're usually too crumbly and dry for my tastes- these were something else altogether- moist, chewy, and very chocolately. Now, anyone who knows me also knows I'm NOT driving 45+ miles for anything, much less a cookie- so I had to find a recipe to replicate these at home. After trying out and fiddling with several recipes from the web, I think I'm close:

2 1/4 c. flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 sticks butter, softened
1 c. brown sugar
1 c. sugar
1 c. peanut butter
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
1 3/4 c. chocolate chips
1/2 c. mini chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line baking sheets with parchment paper. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl and set aside. In a separate bowl, beat the butter, brown sugar, and sugar until fluffy. Add the peanut butter and mix well. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then add the vanilla. Mix in the dry ingredients and add the chocolate chips.
Scoop heaping tablespoons of dough onto the baking sheets, about 2 inches apart (I got 6-8 large cookies on each sheet). Flatten each cookie with a fork twice to make a criss-cross pattern. Bake for about 11 1/2 minutes until cookies start to brown around edges. They won't look fully done, but will "set" on the pans as they cool (about 5 minutes), then transfer them to cooling racks to cool completely.

2 comments:

yonca said...

My son loves peanut butter cookies. Thanks for sharing.
I'm following you now;)

Shonda said...

I will definitely try this!!