Sunday, August 17, 2008

Pancake Sunday



If it's Sunday, then you know it's pancake morning in our house. Even Munch knows that once everyone is up, we go through the routine of heating the big griddle and making a huge batch of pancakes before AudioDad heads out for his morning run with the girls. Even though she's just two, Munch has made countless batches of pancakes with me already. She dumps in all the ingredients, whisks up the batter, then heads off to set the table while they cook, making sure everyone has their proper syrup- sugar free for Daddy, the real stuff for her & Mommy.
It took a long time to find just the right pancake recipe. AudioDad's mom's pancakes were legend in his mind and for several years early in our marriage, mine never quite measured up. He actually even preferred my dad's to mine! But Fannie Farmer to the rescue! (My go-to cookbook- a must for every kitchen) Here's the recipe, with my changes- it makes a lot- feed a crowd, or just be really hungry! I also make extra silver dollar-size pancakes for the Munchkin to have throughout the week. They freeze well when wrapped between sheets of waxed paper. I just pop several of them in the microwave for about 20 seconds, flip & heat another 15 seconds or so, and she's got a little taste of Sunday before heading off to daycare.

1 1/4 c. milk (I usually even add another 1/4 c. depending on how the batter looks-we like our griddlecakes on the thinner side)
4 tbsp. butter, melted
2 eggs
2 c. flour
4 tsp. baking powder
4 tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt

Whisk everything up and spoon about 1/4 c. of batter per pancake onto a preheated and greased 300 degree griddle. Flip when they're bubbly on top and just starting to dry around the edges (the underside should be nice and golden). Cook just a little longer on second side and serve.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Janice and Vivian, I need you both at my house- we don't know what breakfast is unless it is the kind where you hop in the car and hit The Egg and I!!!!!!!!!
I am enjoying the blogs and pictures. They make me smile.
Love Lynn