Sunday, June 7, 2009

Summer is Almost Here!

It's the last week of school, which means that on Friday, I officially switch to my OTHER job- Munch's full-time, stay-home mom. Vacations with her are always something I really look forward to, and this summer is no different. I know we'll have many days to hit the amusement park, to run around exploring (and eating!), and that if there's something I want to teach her, this is the perfect opportunity! Last June's adventure was starting the potty training- a year later, Munch is almost 3 1/2 and I feel so satisfied when I hear her little footsteps in the early morning hours to potty, flush, AND wash! Next I taught her to write her nickname, and she already knows most of her letters and several sounds. I've spent the last couple of weeks researching other sites so we can begin more preschool-type activities- and they've been a wealth of ideas!
My plans for the summer include doing "letter of the day" activities- we'll make a craft for the letter of the day (for example, glue buttons around the letter B- I got some great letter templates here), we'll do an activity that starts with that letter (bike rides on the new bridge around the corner), and we'll cook/eat something that begins with that letter (did I mention B day is scheduled for my birthday? I think we'll have Birthday cake!) AudioDad's been encouraging me to pick up painting again and I recently saw some great artwork techniques that the kids did on J&K Plus 8 did, so I grabbed some canvases and we may bring out the easel soon. So with my hauls from the local art store, office supply store, and craft store, everything was really starting to overflow the small cubby I had in Munch's play area (this is the after photo)-

and I really needed to get organized- down came a bookcase and lots of my plastic storage containers (I DO love a plastic tub!) I have no idea how all this fit in those little cubbies before-

Munch still has easy access to all her games, puzzles, and Play-doh. She now has drawing paper, crayons, stickers, and coloring books handy without needing me to get things. The newest additions were a special "cutting box" so she knows what she's allowed to use her scissors with and a little tray for her display her day's "treasures". Here she is working on the fine motor skills :)
-using her animal sticks to transfer pompoms between containers- kept her busy for a good while!

2 comments:

Dumb Mom said...

You're all organizy and stuff. I'm too embarrassed to post pics of the inside of my house; it's ridiculous. Trying to get myself prepped for summer, though we only have 2 days of school left and then AHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Veronica Lee said...

What a fun list of things to do for the summer! You are definitely a good mom.